Setting stones of remembrance in hot pursuit of the prize!

Monday, February 7, 2011

Cousin Camp

In the summer of 2006 my mom held the first annual Cousin Camp.  She has fond memories of her cousins coming to spend time on the farm and wanted her grandchildren to be close with their cousins as well.  I have to chuckle even as I write this.  Four of my five siblings live within 2 miles of the old home place.  I live a mere 40 minutes away.  I do have one brother who left the midwest to attend seminary on the left coast who has yet to return to the promised land, but he is the exception to the rule.  Even though my kids see their cousins often, cousin camp has helped them forge a strong bond with great memories they would not have otherwise.  In fact, the memories and fore-thoughts of Cousin Camp played a big role in how they viewed and dealt with the passing of their Papa.  In the weeks following my dad's death they consoled themselves aloud on a daily basis with the fact that even though Papa is now in heaven Mama will still have Cousin Camp. It is one of life's consistencies children so need and desire.  It is a landmark Mama and Papa set for them.

2006

2007- Indians
(That's the Wise Old Indian there in the middle.  He emerged each evening from the corn field with the shot of a flaming arrow to tell stories around the campfire.  The kids only realized the Wise Old Indian's true identity when they discovered the costume in Mama and Papa's closet while playing hide and seek a couple years later!)

2008- Olympics 

2009- Wild West- Boot Hill Bill and Sasparilla Sally

2010- Cousinlot
(Notice how proliferate my siblings and I are!)
Weekly someone still brings up the fact that C.C. is getting closer as they surmise what the theme may be this year.  I'm just thinking that since Aunt Diane has agreed to join Uncle Chuck in assisting this year perhaps we could stretch the length of Cousin Camp a bit...

No comments:

Post a Comment