Setting stones of remembrance in hot pursuit of the prize!

Monday, November 28, 2011

Sew Free!

I'm not sure if it a genetic predisposition or due my encouragement, but my kids love to create.  I try to offer them many different mediums.  We seem to especially gravitate towards art that makes a mess.  And we seem to crave this activity in the cooler months coordinated with whatever subject we are studying at the time- picture a Shetland pony sized paper mache horse complete with internal wire armature.  I didn't really think this one through.  Do you know how many layers it takes, added one day at a time, of flour and water sodden newspaper to complete a horse?!

The kids also like to paint.  In the warmer months, and when they were young enough to get away with it, I would let them strip down to nature and paint outside at their plastic picnic table.  When they were finished I hosed down the table and filled the wading pool with dish soap and water.  They were happy and I was happy.  Now that we have learned about modesty, and since the dog water is frozen over they have set up a studio of sorts in our unfinished basement.  It is a great space for them to spill paint and practice cleaning it up without me having to come behind them and complete the task.  The only problem being that they tend to spill paint all over their clothes.  This even after the younger set were told to strip off their outer layer.  I guess I should have checked up on them if I really expected them to follow instructions. They were subsequently banned from the studio after the last session.

For my own sanity I needed to figure out a way for them to regain their basement privileges.  Turns out I like it when they are underfoot, one floor underfoot that is.  My sewing machines are right above the studio space and I can keep tabs on them by listening through the HVAC registers.

Today as I was sorting through some unused clothing I got a bright idea.  Easy no sew smocks! Everyone is happy once again...


I will not incriminate our household by indicating how many denim shirts we have or how long we have had them.  Two of the shirts were missing all their buttons as I dug them out of the discard bag. I sewed the front of them back together before I started cutting. We scalp all buttons before clothes are thrown out.  Yes, one day I will be that crazy old lady with the mason jars full of buttons!

Cut the back off the shirt.  If you are lucky enough to have a loop on the bottom of the yoke seam leave it intact so your progeny can throw the smock on the floor and you can remind them to hang it up.

Cut away the sleeve leaving it intact at the armpit.

The strip you have left becomes the tie.

2 minutes after you started you have a smock!

My adorable model in what looks like a dress...

From the look of his pants I just might have to make him an outdoor smock as well...

No comments:

Post a Comment