Setting stones of remembrance in hot pursuit of the prize!

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pillowcase Casual...

 My sis-in-law began her new job as a stay-at-home mom about a year or so ago.  She has purchased a sewing machine but has yet to use it.  I can understand the angst of starting such a new venture.  It is a bit intimidating.  After gorging on Thanksgiving dinner she and I were perusing some different websites and simple dress patterns and we came across some really fab pillowcase dresses.  I decided I would do this tutorial for her.  There are others out there to be sure, but none that were written just for you.  Can’t wait to see what you come up with, Miss!  No pressure...
My niece, Kate, turned 4 on Sunday.  My sister-in-law had the nerve to deliver her on my baby’s due date!  My little bundle of joy made her grand entrance 5 days later.  We are still working on her drama queen issues 4 years later.  Kate loves dresses and I already had a pair of boots and leggings for her, so we searched the stash for something to match.  My motto is the more color, pattern, and texture the better!  The “dress” turned out more of a tunic in length.  I will put the measurements for a dress in parenthesis.  
You will need-
2/3 yard fabric A (blue sun and moon)
1/3 yard fabric B (green polka dot)
1/4 yard fabric C (pink)
1.Cut a rectangle 15’’ (20”) by the width of fabric A.  Most cotton quilter fabric is 45’’ wide.
2.Cut fabric B 4” by the width of fabric (figured at 45”)

3.Cut two pieces of fabric C 4” by the width of fabric.  Sew together the narrow ends. Fold in half lengthwise wrong sides together and iron flat. This will be the bottom ruffle.

4. Run a basting stitch the length of the ruffle on the rough edges.  A basting stitch is achieved by setting your stitch length to the longest position.  It is a “5” on my machine.  By pulling on one of the basting threads the fabric will gather or “ruffle”.

5. Sew the ruffle to the bottom edge of fabric B.

6. Sew the top edge of fabric B to fabric A.
This photo shows top stitching the seams of the large rectangle.  It isn't necessary, but makes the garment look more finished.  


7. You now have a large rectangle. Fold it in half, right sides together, and sew a seam down the long edge making sure that the different stripes of fabric line up on the edges.

8. To make armholes put a mark at the top 2’’ in from the side and another 6’’ down on the side edge. Make a gentle “J” curve to connect the marks.  You can use a plate to help you make the curve if you desire. Cut the armhole.

9. Starting at the 2’’ mark at the top cut a gentle curve from each side to the middle ending 1’’ below the top edge.
I made the armcyes (dressmakers term for armholes) by folding the dress in half. I used a disappearing sewing marker to make my lines.  I also have a stub of chalk in my pin box I use if my kids haven't absconded with it.


10. Make a narrow hem on the armholes by folding over the fabric twice to the inside and ironing flat.  Sew the armhole hem.

 11. Fold over the neck line 1/2’’ iron flat.  Fold in again 1 1/2’’ wide and iron.  This will be the drawstring casing.  Sew the neck seam being sure to not stitch across ends where you will pull through the tie.
This photo shows the neck casing.


12. To make the tie sew together the short ends of two pieces of fabric B that are 4’’ by 45’’ to make a 90’’.  

 13. Fold in half right sides together and sew across one end and down the side. Turn right side out, tuck in unfinished end and sew. Iron.

14. Feed tie through neck casing using a safety pin.
Add caption


15. Tie a big bow and smile because you are done!

16. Go start some onions sauteing because your husband will be home soon and when he smells the onions he’ll think you have started the supper prep...

My "model" by default.  The girl it would fit was napping.

Here he is proudly displaying his artwork he likes to call, "Monkeys With Balls".

No comments:

Post a Comment