Setting stones of remembrance in hot pursuit of the prize!

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Proof I Did Get Something Accomplished Last Summer...

Sometimes I wonder if I'm just spinning my wheels.  I have to continually remind myself that my husband and 6 dear children are daily on the top of my to do list.  Those of you who know me best know that I occasionally obsess over a project idea.  There is even an acquaintance of mine, with whom I shared many years of lodging even letting her use the same womb in which I was nourished for 9 months, who declares subjects taboo after I have dwelled on them overlong. One of the reasons I take so many photographs is that I need to review where I have been visually.

Upon reviewing the over 1,000 pictures I took over the summer months I came across a project that I especially enjoyed creating.  It is a quilt I made for a friend's new baby.  Those of you who have recently reproduced know that in my heart your sweet babe is already wrapped in something I have created just for them.  My mind is so far ahead of my hands!  If it makes you feel any better I put this particular project on the front burner as this was my dear friend's 9th baby!!  I think that number nine deserves something especially fine!

For Fletcher Kale.

His name and some blocks are in brown and green minkee on the herd of turtles.  The mint green blocks are ribbed minkee.  The brown blocks are dot minkee.

Psalm 145:3 is quilted in the sashing around the herd of turtles block in the middle.
Here is the quilt from the back. I like to use a dark color fabric so I can see the quilting.

Side view of the pinwheel blocks.

I had such fun making the pinwheels!  To make them I took the same 6'' blocks I used throughout and folded them in half diagonally to make a triangle and then folded them in half again to make a smaller triangle.  I then cut a 6'' block in half horizontally and vertically to make four squares.  I sewed the triangles (I think they are called prairie points when all folded up) to the squares and the squares back together again.  Then I was rebellious and randomly placed them throughout the quilt.
 With some coordinating fabric I made him some little tie shirts.

I ironed wonder under to the back of the tie then ironed the tie to the shirt.

If you don't have any commercial stabilizer on hand use a coffee filter to keep the fabric from stretching.

Tear off your improvised stabilizer.

Here is the finished product!  My friend uses cloth diapers and I've found all my old standby snap crotch onesies  don't work as well as shirts with cloth diapers.  Just in case you were wondering why I didn't use snap crotch onesies :)

Welcome to the planet Fletcher!!

1 comment:

  1. Fletcher Kale is sleeping snugly tonight under his beautiful quilt. In fact, all of our littles sleep with their Megan-Made quilts every night - their favorite blankies!! You are so talented and creative! I'd come over for quilting lessons and a cup of coffee if I lived closer. We so appreciate the lovely things you've made for us...makes us think of you all so often!

    Love Ya!
    Kristine

    ReplyDelete