Setting stones of remembrance in hot pursuit of the prize!

Monday, March 28, 2011

One Thing I Never Thought I'd Hear...

"These melt in your mouth!"
This exclamation from Breadwinner upon devouring tacos made from fresh ground wheat berries. Tortillas are not something I would ever compare to melting in the mouth, but apparently these do just that.  This is high praise indeed as Breadwinner is not one to shy away from telling me just exactly what he thinks of the nourishment I place before him.  It has taken almost 15 years, but I am getting over it.  My dad always ate anything Mom gave him, so it was strange to hear an opinion on the food served at first.  But to be fair a bowl of cereal or nachos with cheese in the microwave was all Dad was ever inspired to make us in our childhood.  Breadwinner bought an electric smoker last summer when he decided he enjoyed smoked meats.  On our 10th anniversary he made me an intimate supper for two complete with a chipotle compound butter for my steak and cheesecake for dessert.  So I have learned to accept his culinary critique.

I painted one of my cabinet doors with chalkboard paint to post the weekly menu.  This cuts down on the questions from the peanut gallery concerning what they will be shoving down their gullets next.  Roast chicken was what was planned for tonight.  Breadwinner picked up three at the grocer for me today.  We both thought they were completely thawed.  They weren't.  At 5:00 I went to plan "B".  We don't usually eat until 6:30 or even later, so that wasn't an issue.  What was is that I have a bad cold and have preferred that we simply skip eating and go to bed early instead.  The only one I could interest in this idea was the baby.  The problem with trying to eat as little processed or convenience food as possible is that it takes so much time to get it ready to meet your lips.  Definitely a drawback when you just want to get supper done.  I was reading a cookbook lately where the author proclaimed no food should take longer to prepare than it does to eat!  Really?

Anyway, since we couldn't have Tuesday's meal, chicken soup, until we've had the chicken to begin with we skipped to Thursday night's enchilada.  I really shouldn't be whining as the chicken for the enchilada was in the freezer having been grilled previously.  I just had to make the tortillas, sauce, and ranch dressing.  We like to put iceberg lettuce and ranch dressing over the top of our enchilada.

I wanted to share the recipe that we use to make tortillas as I have had a few requests and I remembered to take some photos tonight to illustrate my explanation.  Strange I had time to take pictures isn't it?!  Priorities...


  • Whole Wheat Tortillas

  • 5 cups fresh ground whole wheat berries
  • 1/2 cup shortening (I use Crisco for all my baking.  I used to use store brand, but its water content is high and effects outcomes.  The best deal I have found is at Sam's Club)
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 1/2 cups boiling water

  1. In a large bowl, stir together the whole wheat flour, and salt. Rub in the shortening by hand until the mixture is the texture of oatmeal. Make a well in the center, and pour in the boiling water. Mix with a fork until all of the water is evenly incorporated. Sprinkle with a bit of additional flour, and knead until the dough does not stick to your fingers. The dough should be smooth.
  2. Make balls the size of golf balls, about 2 ounces each. Place them on a tray, and cover with a cloth. Let stand for at least 1 hour, or up to 8 hours.
  3. Heat a griddle or large frying pan over high heat. The griddle really needs to be smoking hot.  It takes some practice to time the cooking.  Sometimes the tortillas will bubble and sometimes they won't.  I don't feel you can rely on the bubbles to turn the tortillas.  Don't overcook!  They should still be very pliable.   Tortillas can be refrigerated or frozen.
  4. Makes 24 tortillas.

Breadwinner got me this press to encourage me to make more tortillas!  It helps to ensure they are pretty uniform.

The pressed dough is about 6'' in diameter.

It is then rolled to between 7" and 8".

My oldest Sous Chef specializes in cooking the tortillas.  We have a huge electric griddle we crank to high heat.   


This is a sub par photo. You can't see the enchilada.  You can, however, see the ranch dressing.  Here is the recipe.

Thanks to my friend Kate for gifting me with The Pioneer Woman Cookbook.  Great recipes and even better illustrations.    

Ranch Dressing
1/4 tsp kosher salt (I use sea salt)
1 clove garlic chopped(I press it through my garlic press)
1 cup mayo
1/2 cup sour cream (I use plain yogurt because I always have that and seldom have sour cream.)
1/4 cup milk or buttermilk (I omit this or it is too runny due to using yogurt)
1/2 tsp white vinegar (I use cider vinegar)
1/2 tsp worchestershire sauce
1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp black pepper (I use less or my family whines about the heat)
1/8 tsp cayenne (I omit this too.  Anything measured in 1/8 of a tsp seems superfluous to me)
1 Tbsp chives (I only use this when it is in season in my garden)
2 Tbsp dill
1/4 cup parsley

-Sprinkle salt over garlic and mash with a fork.  Add everything else.  Taste and add other herbs you like.  As you can see I alter the recipe to suit.  You should do the same!  I use this for veggie dip and in wrap sandwiches as well as for dressing.  


Okay, it was worth the effort...

No comments:

Post a Comment