Setting stones of remembrance in hot pursuit of the prize!

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

How I Bind My Quilts...Sometimes...


I was chatting on the phone with my friend who lives 9 hours away the other day about what projects we had going.  She mentioned she was teaching her girls how to sew and was stumped on how to bind some little quilts.  It just so happened that I needed to bind the quilt I had just made for my newest nephew.  He is my 19th niece/nephew and the first to be born in my birth month!  I can tell already he is going to be above average!  Congratulations to Andrew and Amanda on being blessed with Titus Timothy.  Kristine, here is how I did it.  Bear in mind I am not a perfectionist and yours will look much better...


I made the binding using a bias tape maker.  I bought it at Jo-Ann Fabric with my 40% off coupon.  It set me back all of $3.50.  I have two sizes.  One for making bias tape for apparel and one for binding quilts. 

1. Open out the bias tape and sew along the fold line to the back of the quilt.  Notice I am using a walking foot on my sewing machine.  It feeds the top and bottom fabrics through at the same speed to eliminats puckers.  I LOVE this foot!!

2. Fold bias tape around to the front.  

3. Topstitch the bias tape on the front of the quilt.  I like to use a wavy stitch.
It camoflauges any mistakes and adds interest.

Notice- On the bottom the topstitching is not perfect.  If you want perfect you have to sew the bias tape on the top of the quilt first, fold it over to the bottom and hand stitch.  I'm okay with not perfect.  I like to spend that extra time I save sitting on the couch eating bon-bons. 

I like to back my baby quilts with minky as of late.  This is blue minky dot.  I spread Titus' quilt on the floor to photograph and wanted to be able to see the minky on the back so I folded over the edge.  I snapped this photo as fast as I could before my littlest assistant folded the edge back to make everything smooth.  It must have upset his poor little delicate sensitivities!  

No comments:

Post a Comment