Setting stones of remembrance in hot pursuit of the prize!

Friday, September 3, 2010

Color My World



In my teen years the heat of a summer evening held a unique allure for me. When most of my school chums were cruising University or heading to the next town over to turn the heads of someone else's home town boy, I could most often be located in the chicken house. Its former occupants had long ago found their way into a stew or over biscuits to bless our table. I had commandeered their abandoned abode as my shop. Here I wiled away the hours removing layers of ancient shellacs or gooey paints from castoff furniture using the most caustic strippers I could get my hands on. I experimented with a host of methods for removing finishes. I used steel wool, water, bleach, belt sanders, toothbrushes, wire brushes, and the aforementioned chemical stripper-but seldom gloves. I may have tried a couple pair, but the stripper ate through them so fast it wasn't economically feasible to use them. By the end of the summer my fingertips were worn smooth. As I carefully restored piece after piece to its former glory I had daydreams of committing the perfect crime as I was incapable of leaving a fingerprint to trace.

I had to wean myself from my hobby when I moved into an apartment. My furniture collecting was further curbed when we had to make room for the result of our new hobby of procreation. These days I go in fits and spurts around limiting factors. The last couple of months I find myself in the sweet spot. School is not in session, I am not pregnant, I am not adding furniture I am refashioning, and it is warm enough to either open the windows wide or work outdoors. Over the next couple posts I would like to share what we've been up to...

This used to be Lora's. She wanted a smaller hutch and I was okay with trading hers for mine. I have always felt she cheated herself on the deal. It was dark walnut when we got it. About 7 years ago I pickled it to match the kitchen cabinets for which I did the same. A couple years ago I did the black and white work on the inset when I painted our kitchen floor.

Since I painted the kitchen cabinets this spring I had to complete the look by painting the hutch. It is the same color as my uppers. I like the way it blends more with the walls now. Don't show this to Jud, Lora. I know he didn't ever want you to paint it...

No comments:

Post a Comment