Setting stones of remembrance in hot pursuit of the prize!

Monday, August 30, 2010

My Little Piggy Bank

I wasn't looking for blog fodder. I already had enough for several installations without Maielle turning Merritt into a human piggy bank.

Last week we pulled our camper to my folks to stay while Breadwinner roofed in a town nearby. Of my 5 siblings and I, only 2 of us live farther than 2 miles from my parents, (with the exception of my brothers as they periodically go off to war) and the kids and I were looking forward to spending time with the family including 10 of their cousins. I thought we had all the kinks worked out for the week as we had already limboed a hurdle 6 miles into the trip. In my side mirror I glanced up to see chunks of rubbert flying from a trailer tire. Breadwinner pulled off the road behind me towing the camper. We decided since the tire was not flat,only missing some rubber, and the trailer just had a ladder on it we would pray and go a bit slower the 40 miles we had left. We made our destination no worse the wear thanking the Lord for his graciousness and in time to enjoy some delicious sausage stuffed peppers for supper.

We spent the next morning visiting my sister,Mollie, and her brood, and then to see my grandparents in the home. We took them for a walk outside and enjoyed the glorious weather. The closest we came to a mishap was when my 4 year old took off pushing Great Papa, who resides in an alhzeimer's wing, down the trail that follows beside a stream. We glanced up in time to see the wheel chair leave the concrete path and head toward the underbrush that separates the path from the stream. At 62 my mother has great response time which is to blame for her pulled hamstrings. Too bad Great Papa couldn't appreciate the adventure he had taken! We returned to the "campsite" in time for my mom to take the kids and I on a gator ride through the pasture before supper.

Thursday morning is when things started to get a bit dicey. Mom asked Mollie and I to assist with some landscaping. Dad went to get us some manure with the loader tractor and before our very eyes my brother's bull dog got himself run over breaking his front left leg. Mollie and I used a blanket to wrangle the living meat log in her truck. She took Bullwrinkle to the vet where brother Sam, who was helping Breadwinner on the roof, met them. By the time Mollie got back and collected her offspring everyone needed a nap! Three kids weren't napping and I commandeered them to help Papa Tim fork up the soil before I applied the manure to the flower beds. About that time Mom got home from taking Grandma to the doctor. We were in need of some relaxation and another gator ride in the pasture was just the thing.

If only I had known what was to come I would have stayed home to shower and clean the manure from my shoes...

No comments:

Post a Comment